March 17, 2020 9:30 AM
Administrative Offices Closed to Physical Access
In accordance with the Town Manager’s Coronavirus (COVID-19) statement dated March 16, 2020, Department of Public Works Administrative Offices will be closed to the public for physical access March 17, 2020 through April 6, 2020. Calls (617-972-6420) and emails (firstname.lastname@example.org) will still be responded to Monday through Friday 8:30am - 5:00pm.
Herein, the Department is providing additional information regarding construction work:
Trash and Recycling:
Currently, curbside trash and recycling collections schedules will remain unaffected.
The Watertown Recycle Center will also continue normal hours of operation; however, access will be restricted to a limit of five (5) residents at any given time.
Additional information can be found here: https://www.watertowndpw.org/169/Trash-Recycling
Public Works Street Opening Permits:
The Department is not accepting or issuing new street opening permits through April 6. Work under existing street opening permits and emergency repairs may proceed.
DPW continues to evaluate its projects and potential impacts to residents, staff, and contractors. Most DPW projects involve small construction crews and take place outdoors.
• Maintenance projects, such as permanent patch, mill and overlay, and sidewalk repairs, are expected to continue.
• Work on the Common Street project is expected to continue.
• Work on the Phase I/II road reconstruction and Complete Streets projects are in the process of being scheduled and are expected to begin in the next few weeks.
• Work on the 2019 Sewer Rehabilitation project, which includes trenchless repairs to the sewer system, is expected to continue.
• Work on the 2020 Water Main Rehabilitation project (Essex Street, Nash Street, Pine Street and Oak Street) will be delayed.
We are advising contractors and will be scheduling work such that if conditions change and orders to stop work are issued, that projects can be cleaned up and shut down on short notice.
National Grid Gas Relays:
We have been advised that National Grid will continue main installation on Sheldon Road, Whites Ave., and Duff Street, however service connections will not be made at this time. Existing gas mains will remain live and gas service will be uninterrupted.
This continues to be an unprecedented, fluid situation, and the Department is in consultation with the Emergency Management Team daily. The schedules listed above are subject to change as additional advisories and information are made available.
Services delivery will continued to be assessed as new information becomes available. We thank you for your understanding.