The City plans to reconstruct Highland Avenue, from Lexington Street to the City line just before Longfellow Road. The existing roadway pavement and gravel subbase materials will be ground up and reused to create a new "base" for the road and the road will then be repaved.
The work will also include new concrete sidewalks and driveway aprons located within the City's right-of-way lines. The goal of the project is to rake a "complete streets approach" to the road to provide a better sidewalks along Highland Avenue and will also include granite curbing, grass planting strips, new shade trees, and tree pits for stormwater treatment and at select locations.
Traffic calming techniques, such as raised intersections, will also be considered to reduce vehicular speeds on the street and improve pedestrian safety.
The City is proceeding with design for construction later this year.
- View the concept plan
- Neighborhood Letter
- Residential Driveway Information
- Guide to the Planting Strip
- Winter Maintenance and Deicing
The City's engineering consultant, TetraTech, has completed land surveying and is working with City staff to develop concept plans.
- Complete Streets Prioritization Plan, including Highland Ave.
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan, identifying Highland Ave. as a priority for improvements
- 2022 Road Program Presentation to City Council Committee on Public Works